The Lares Trek Special is a completely original itinerary designed by Mountain Peru. It has been designed to visit remote weaving villages, as well as give you a taste of hiking in the Andes, and finish up at the hot springs of Lares for a well deserved soak! This tour visits Chupani, a village. This tour is 3 days of remote trekking that enables you to get far away from the crowds in a short amount of time.
For those who wish to visit Machu Picchu, a Machu Picchu in third day is possible
Lares Trek Special 3 Days Itinerary
Day 1: Cusco – Ollantaytambo – Patacancha – Chaullacocha – Chupani
We will start early, departing from Cusco, from where we will drive to Ollantaytambo (2 hours drive). After a short break for last minute supplies itis about 1 hours drive up hill to Patacancha. In Patacancha, we will start hiking, gently uphill. We hike for about 4-5 hours, crossing a high pass (4200m) before reaching Chaullacocha.
Note: For people of less than moderate fitness there is also the opportunity to take the car further up the hill to Palqaq, from where the hike to Chaullacocha is approximately 3 hours and has less uphill. This makes the hike easier, but by no means easy. You need to hike this section – there is no other way to reach these remote villages. Along the way there will be curious llamas and alpacas stopping to check you out… a beautiful moon like landscape, stunning views of lakes and the odd encounter with a local person tending their sheep and alpacas.
We will have lunch in Chaullacocha before continuing on for another 1 – 1.5 hours to Chupani. Chupani is another weaving village. Your tour leader will provide more insights into. We will camp the night in Chupani where our professional chef will serve up delicious, hot, three course meals. Total hiking – 12km – 6 hrs
Day 2: Chupani – Lares Hot Springs
After a morning visit to the school, we will start climbing uphill on the Colquepata pass, approximately 4100m, and a strong climb straight up for about 2 hours. Though breathless and feeling the climb, we will go slow and be rewarded with truly spectacular views of the mountains and the achievement of reaching the pass will be amazing. From there its all downhill for about 3-4 hours, tough in itself due to the steep incline of the mountain but filled with interactions with the people that we meet along the way and amazing alpine scenery. We have lunch en route and pass through some very remote high settlements. Arrival in the Lares Valley is a relief after the high altiplano – its lush vegetation and pretty farmhouses are warm and welcoming. We will have a well deserved soak in the hot springs of Lares and after a refreshing soak willhead go to Ollantaytambo and take the train to Aguas Calientes – Machupicchu
Total hiking – 10km – 6 hrs
Day 3: Machu Picchu
Day Three is the most magical day because you will finally experience Machu Picchu. You will wake up early to catch one of the first buses (around 5:30 a.m.), for the 30 minute ride up to Machu Picchu. You will see the Sunrise over the ruins. Your guide will take you for an informative two hour tour. Afterwards, you will have time to explore on your own and hike Huayna Picchu if you choose to (this is a separate entrance ticket and costs $35 per person). In the afternoon, you’ll catch a two hour train back to Ollantaytambo, followed by a bus back to Cusco, where we will transfer you to your hotel.
End tour Lares Trek
What’s included Lares Trek?
- Pre trek briefing
- Collection from your hotel in the morning of trek departure.
- Transport from Cusco to the trailhead at the beginning of the trek in private car
- Entry fee to Machu Picchu (If you wish to climb Huayna Picchu its $15 extra, please advise at booking)
- English/Quechua/Spanish speaking professional guide (you will have an assistant guide for groups over 6 people).
- Tents – 2 people in a 4 person tent which allows for greater comfort, and also storage of backpacks.
- Basic foam mattress. If you require greater comfort during the trek we can hire you an inflatable mattress (eg. Thermarest) .
- Cook and Cooking equipment (Assistants are provided for larger groups)
- Toilet tent
- Meals as indicated in the itinerary (optional vegetarian food). Our professional cooks prepare meals that incorporate elements of the western diet and also traditional Peruvian delicacies. (Please communicate with your guide/cook during the trek if you have a preference for certain types of dishes). Salads, if served, are washed in boiled water.
- Horses (for equipment and personal items) including horsemen. They carry camping equipment, food and kitchen utensils. We provide duffel bags at your briefing for your personal items (up to 7 kg/15lbs per person).
- 1 emergency horse which can be ridden if you are feeling ill or if are a little slower
- Dining tent with camp tables and chairs & Kitchen tent for the cook to prepare meals
- Tents for our staff to sleep in
- First aid kit including emergency oxygen bottle
What is not included?
- Breakfast on the first morning.
- Dinner on the last night.
- Sleeping bags – If you haven’t got a sleeping bag or you don’t want the hassle of bringing one all the way to Peru with you, then we have sleeping bags for hire.
- Tips for the guide, cook and porters
- Additional horses for passengers luggage.
You should bring:
- A light day pack with a change of clothes for the whole period of the trek – prepare for a vast range of changes in temperature
- Rain gear (jacket and pants if available) or rain poncho. Plastic ponchos can be bought for about $1 in Cusco .
- Strong footwear, waterproof trekking boots recommended. Extra socks are a must.
- Sandals or plastic slip on thongs are also good to give your feet a chance to breath in the evenings if you wish to carry them.
- Warm clothes, including jacket, fleeces, gloves, scarf and beanie/touk. Thermal clothing is also recommended, especially for sleeping.
- Sleeping bag (we can hire these to you)
- Torch/ Flashlight and spare batteries
- Camera, films and batteries (batteries consume more quickly under cold conditions)
- Hat or cap to protect you from the sun, rain and cold
- Sun block
- After-sun cream or hydrating cream for face and body
- Insect repellent – minimum recommended 20% DEET – although no malaria risk has been reported
- Toilet paper, pack in & pack out
- Snacks: biscuits, energy bars, chocolate, raw fruits, muesli, etc.
- Non-disposable canteen (Nalgene type) and water for the first morning.
- We advise you to bring water sterilizing tablets in case you collect water from streams.
- Your own medical kit with any special medications that you might require, paracetamol, second skin for blisters etc.
- Small towel or sarong
- Bathers/swimsuit (if you intend on swimming in hot springs )
- Cash – sufficient for snacks, tips and souvenirs.
- Original passport & ISIC (International Student Identity Card) if you have one.
- Walking sticks or poles (we can hire these to you. Please note poles with metal tips cannot be carried into Machu Picchu and should be left at your hotel on the final day)
- Binoculars (if you have them)
Price per person for Lares Trek
- 2 Persons – US$590 per person
- 3 Persons – US$570 per person
- 4 Persons – US$550 per person
- 5 Persons – US$530 per person
- 6 Persons – US$490 per person
- 7+ Persons – US$470 per person
Personal porter included!
***This price includes the extra porter who will carry your belongings up to 7 kgs, we will provide you a duffle bag you can put your things.
***We provide large Eureka 4 man tents for each 2 trekkers.
- Under 18 years old: US$30 Please send us a copy of your passport at the time of booking.
- Under 11 years old: US$40 Please send us a copy of your passport at the time of booking.
- Group of 5 or more: US$30. – All you need is to book the trek together at the same time.
Additional/Extras NOT Included (Need to book in Advance):
- Machu Picchu Mountain climbing: USD 25.00
- Huayna Picchu Mountain climbing: USD 25.00
- Vistadome Train Aguas Calientes-Cusco: USD50.00
- Extra Night in Aguas Calientes: Depends on the type of Hotel desired.
- Sleeping Bag US$30
- Walking Pole US$15 per pair per trek
- Air Mattress US$25
- Single Tent Supplement US$35